Why Assess Your Skills?
The first step toward making wise career decisions is to assess your skills and job preferences.
Understand what your personality type, aptitudes, skills, strengths and weaknesses are. You need to identify these at the start of any successful job search campaign.
Does it really matter? Yes – if you want to benefit from job satisfaction, personal fulfillment and outstanding career development. Your occupation should suit your skills, knowledge and strengths, and take into account your dislikes and personality traits.
Did you know: Well over half of all Australians aged 15-64 years now have qualifications attained out of school?
How To Assess Your Skills
Finding your dream job starts with understanding yourself and what drives you. Use the following to assess yourself:
Document what you offer…
- Knowledge (e.g. courses, what you know, what you have learned)
- Skills (e.g. what you can do)
- Experience (e.g. what you have done)
Document your personality…
- Motivations (e.g. ambition to be manager, desire to retire early)
- Values (e.g. honesty, open communication, commitment)
- Interests (e.g. professional pursuits, hobbies)
- Attitude (e.g. hardworking, pessimistic)
- Strengths (e.g. why someone would want you on their team)
- Weaknesses (e.g. what would prevent someone from wanting you)
Free Tools and Resources To Help You Assess Your Skills
Free and low cost tools and resources to assist you to assess your skills effectively:
- Skills – Self Assessment
- What Employers Read Into Your Skills
- Evaluate Your Writing Skills
- Free Personality Type Assessment
- Free Career Quiz to find out which career is right for you. Test your career IQ and discover the right career for your personality.
Myfuture – Australia’s career information and exploration service with resources to plan your career journey: www.myfuture.edu.au
Career Fit – provides online career assessment kits that identify the careers you are suited to. The kits provide step-by-step instructions that are easy to follow, and that lead you to your ideal career from a choice of 600 career possibilities. www.careerfit-test.com